Thursday, January 17, 2013

A fresh look.

We often live with things that are inefficient just because that is the way they have always been. Then one day it strikes you that a quick change would make life so much easier. Sometimes, it just takes a fresh look to come up with a better solution. This all sounds like it could be some deep life lesson, but in this case, I'm talking about my cupboards. 
Our kitchen is small and one of my only surfaces is right in front of this cupboard, making the top shelf difficult to reach while I am preparing anything on that board (which is always). After months (ok years) of struggling to reach the things I was using at nearly every meal, I finally realized that simply moving the position of the shelves would solve my problem.
A quick swippy swap of the shelves, and I was ready to rearrange. Now all my everyday oils, vinegars, spices etc are in reach on the bottom shelf, and items I use less often are on the top shelf. Hallelujah.
It is a good exercise from time to time to take a look at the areas in your house that are used everyday.
This could be the kitchen, the coat closet, the bathroom, or a single drawer. Are these areas set up to be most efficient for you? Even the best of organizers can have blind spots, and it's easy to just keep doing what you always do. Small changes can have a big impact!


2 comments: